Monday, September 17, 2007

Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception

I finished this one a week ago, but If I start with Eat the Rich, I guess this would be the next one.

This is the fourth in the Artemis Fowl series. They are children's books. I read a lot of Young Adult novels. They are creative, fun and don't have the language and sex that "adult" novels seem prone to. Its not always safe but the YA section seems to be where more interesting things are happening.

I wouldn't say this a a great book, but its OK, good for a weekend read or when I'm holding a very cranky, sick child that won't go to sleep. A lot of "breaking wind" jokes that I didn't notice the first time I read this for some reason. Something a twelve year old would really like. It has good pacing and a good plot, and an author not afraid to kill major characters, but doesn't just casually use extras as cannon fodder either.

On another book note. I just found out that Robert Jordan died yesterday. It is a weird feeling when an author you are fond of dies. It's like mourning for the books he hasn't written rather than for the man, since I only knew him from the dust jacket of his books. Of course, since this particular man had written 11 books in a 12 book series, it is definitely a mixed emotion and I haven't really sorted out the difference between how I feel and how I ought to feel.

Artemis Fowl :The Opal Deception, Eoin Colfer. Hyperion Books for Children. 2005

No comments: