Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Candyfreak

I don't often read a book that makes me sorry for the author. This guy teaches writing at Chapel Hill and decided to write a book about the thing he loved the most; candy. So he toured as many of the small, independent candy factories that would let him in and wrote about it. I must admit, the way he described some of the candy made me want to hunt down the website and order some. But at the same time, a book written by a man who admits that his love for candy is a substitute for the real thing is pretty sad.

I was entertained, and even learned a few things, but mostly I hoped that the author could used this book as a therapeutic way to move on with his life and find some better ways to use his time. He seemed very lonely, poor guy.

Candyfreak. Steve Almond. Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill 2004.

No comments: