Friday, September 14, 2007

Freedom

So, mostly for my own amusement, but partly so I can share my own personal obsession (isn't that what blogs are all about?) I have decided to start a blog. All blogs need some sort of basis, to at least avoid the appearance of complete narcissism. This one is the books I read. I read like an alcoholic drinks, incessantly, furtively, and moderately ashamed of my own lack of self control. I have always wanted to keep a list of the books I have read, for curiosity if nothing else, now I have decided to write about each one as I finish it.

Some will be old, some new and some reread for the umpteenth time. I don't intend this to be a "YOU SHOULD READ THIS" or avoid, or whatever type of thing, I just want to share and record the ideas that come with each volume.

If you read this often you will become acquainted with certain authors who I return to again and again. Their books have become old friends and comfortable companions when I need to relax. Terry Pratchett, Jasper Fforde, David Weber, J.K. Rowling will all show up in the course of a year, as for others, I don't know, I am a creature of whimsy in most of my selections.

As for the topic of freedom, Terry Pratchett writes, "No practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences." (Going Postal p. 15) I am open to comments and suggestions, but remember, my children often read over my shoulder, so nothing you wouldn't want them to see and repeat. If after a week or two I have posted eighteen times you are free to accuse me of not having a life, I plead guilty. If, after a week or two I don't post at all, I plead guilty to being the mother of five children and horribly disorganized, so, oh well I tried.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

Can I share what I'm reading too? I'm blitzing through the BoM because my reward for finishing it is 'Twilight' by S. Meyer. I've never done a speed read of the BoM and thought it would be interesting. So what is your fastest reading of it?