Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Whispered Secret

This is the second of the Leven Thumps books. I don't know how many there are. I think our library has at least one more. This one was very like the first book.
I still like the books, though a stylistic detail is starting to bug me. The author likes to use a lot of simile and metaphor in his writing, to the point it gets distracting. A few well placed unusual metaphors make a book seem interesting and new; a constant barrage of them gets old after a while.
There were some details I particularly enjoyed: an almost quote of scripture (though it was in an odd place); Leven growing because "offings grow through experience"; and Geff's most horrifying experience was being placed in Clover's pocket. Those references don't make any sense unless you have read the book, at least the first one, but I don't want to write enough to explain them.
While moderately enjoyable, this is definitely more of a children's book and series.

Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret. Obert Skye. Shadow Mountain. 2006

No comments: