Friday, January 11, 2008

Elantris

When you discover a new, good author it is always exciting, at least for me. David gave me three books by someone we hadn't heard of before and they were all excellent. We found them because he was found by someone else first.

We like and have been patiently reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It was 11 books long, with one left. Then he got very ill and died. This resulted in many feelings of guilt as we felt more loss for the one book that never got written. So just before Christmas we saw that a man named Brandon Sanderson had been chosen to write the last Wheel of Time book. In trying to find out more I discovered that neither our library nor local bookstore has copies of any of his books. My wonderful husband bought these books for me for Christmas and we both spent an awful lot of time reading them.

Elantris was the first one. I knew it was pretty good, because David got to it before I did and didn't talk to me all of Christmas day. This was a stand-alone novel, which has gotten to be pretty rare in Fantasy. Everyone does at least trilogies and I don't want to get into a long series, mostly because the library tends not to have all the books.

The book started out a bit slow, I had a hard time getting into it, but eventually it got really good and I had a hard time putting it down. It is an epic fantasy, nice and complex. It is funny, when I read other stuff, then come back to this genre, to realize how much more is involved in writing a fantasy novel. Especially because this author makes magic systems that have rules and are internally consistent. And a lot of political maneuvering and stuff like that. I really enjoy "epic fantasy" but it is hard to do well, and there are not that many authors out there that I can say I really like. So finding Brandon Sanderson was very exciting.

Elantris. Brandon Sanderson. Tor Books. 2005

No comments: