Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Shadowmarch

This was a book that if I hadn't been ill I wouldn't have finished. The author has a tendency to write really detailed novels. Sometimes this works, but other times you just don't care what they had for breakfast and several paragraphs on turnip porridge don't help the plot much.
Not only is this a huge book, but in many ways it is a repetition of a trilogy already written by him and read by me, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. I liked those, they had a good sense of atmosphere and were not quite so huge so the details didn't engulf the plot. There are others to this series too, but I have moved on to histories now and there are plenty of those to be read if I want something with a large amount of details.

Shadowmarch. Tad Williams. Daw Books. 2004

No comments: