Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Polaris

Another mystery/sci-fi. This one was interesting in that the people who disappear all are of the zero-population growth crowd and that plays into why they vanished and the plot of the book. The book was OK, though I need to take a break from this author for a while.
The book made me think about change and the whole environmental movement. I think the reason I get ticked off about a lot of it is that it feels very selfish to me. Most human motives are when you come right down to it. Lowering birthrates feels like an "I'm here and have what I want, I don't want anyone else coming in and messing things up." A lot of preservation notions have that kind of note to them. A lot of popular movements have that message. Everyone who thinks like me is OK, but anyone who doesn't is bad and so should be denied access to -- whatever, national parks, jobs, the evil cigarettes, fatty food, -anything really. It is amazing that we have the freedom we do when the government has to balance the ability to be free with the human desire to prevent others from doing stuff.
A lot of non-religious people would disagree, but I find that the LDS church tries to limit that. If we really have charity, as we are supposed to, we won't spend all our time worrying about the stupid stuff other people are doing, but work on the stupid stuff we are doing and how we can improve ourselves and help those around us, not just judge them and cast them off.
I guess it was a good book if it gets me thinking along those lines.

Polaris. Jack McDevitt. Ace Books. 2004

1 comment:

jendoop said...

Way to get a good message out of a book you didn't like!