Monday, July 21, 2008

The Name of the Wind


This was a great book, (great big actually). It was a typical coming of age fantasy type, but the writing was amazing. The story is told in the first person and it really made you feel like you were listening to someone tell their life story. A lot of first person narratives just use the storytelling as a frame. Like in the movies when someone starts talking and then you fade into the rest of the movie. A book does the same by switching from first to third person. A good first person is hard to keep up, a lot sort of fade in and out.

This one kept the first person the whole time, and as a double-layered story too. The feeling of an older man, telling about his remembered feelings and the interpretation: how he saw things then, and how his older perspective changes things was very consistent. I am impressed by such good writing craft.

Then the story was good too. The biggest complaint I have is that the next book in the series doesn't come out until April. I'm going to start only reading dead authors. I hate waiting for a new book to come out. This one dragged a bit, but when I finished my hands itched, wanting to continue the story, or even reread the one I had. I probably would have but David has started it now and I don't want to steal it from him.
The Name of the Wind. Patrick Rothfuss. DAW. 2008

2 comments:

jendoop said...

You know there are alot more dead authors than live ones, more to choose from, probably cheaper too. Oh, with the exception of that Shakespear book they recently found.

jendoop said...

Did I just write Shakespear? You know what I mean...Shakespeare. Am I hungry?