Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hero of Ages


This book is an example of why I love fantasy and science fiction. It was really good, it was amazing, increbile and any other word you want to use to describe a book you will probably reread many times out of sheer enjoyment. I have been waiting for a long time for this book to come out. David got it for me for my birthday and I read it in two days. That was actually exercising a lot of restraint, because I did a lot of other things those days, and I didn't stay up all night and read it.

It has a complicated, weaving plot, that connects events happening in several different areas, but they work together to not only advance the plot, but develop the themes and ideas of the book. The ending was perhaps the most satisfying and complete one I have read in a trilogy. A lot of times there is so much going on in a series of this scope that there are plot threads never resolved, or questions left hanging, or just a stupid ending because the author couldn't figure out how to stop. The ending of this trilogy felt complete and whole in a way I haven't seen before.

Can you tell I liked this book? While I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not a fan of the genre, if you do like fantasy books at all, if you have read Lord of the Rings and didn't hate it, please read this one, it was incredible.


Hero of Ages. Brandon Sanderson. Tor. 2008

No comments: