Monday, November 17, 2008

Alcatraz Vs. the Scrivener's Bones


I realized that I have fallen behind a bit. Though I don't write about all the books I read, I do like to write about ones I really liked, or learned something from. This one falls more in the first category than the second. It is a sequel to Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians, which I talked about before. In fact, if I've talked to you at all about books you know how I feel about Brandon Sanderson. We love his books, and this one was no exception. It was the third of the the books David got me for my birthday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are currently reading it to my boys for their bedtime book and they enjoy it as well. You have to be able to handle a sarcastic teenager first person voice though. If that drives you nuts, then don't bother reading the book. It has been a great way to reach Ryan about unreliable narrators though.

I seem to read a lot of YA fiction. So much adult fiction takes itself so seriously. I read for entertainment. I don't read depressing novels for the same reason I don't go see dramas and depressing movies, except by accident. I still can get choked up if I think about Life is Beautiful too much. That one had me teary eyed for days. So as a remedy for serious, sad fiction, I whole-heartedly recommend this book.


Alcatraz vs the Scrivener's Bones. Brandon Sanderson. Scholastic. 2008

1 comment:

jendoop said...

Oh yes, I'm all about teaching my 10 year old about unreliable narrators. HA! Your world is so different than mine, yet so similar. Oh it's late my brain no worky.