Saturday, November 15, 2008

Books


No this isn't a general post, but a memoir by someone who loves books more than I do. I like books, and buy them and read them as much as I can, but I do have other interests. Larry McMurtry, other the other hand, has lived a life completely obsessed by them. It is funny how short this book is. It is like a lot of little anecdotes about his life buying and selling books, only vaguely chronological. Sort of like a mumbling grandpa trying to tell you what is important in life, but who keeps falling asleep after a few sentences.
I have been thinking about writing a formal essay type things about why and how I read, but the only quiet time I get is late at night, when I should be sleeping. This is not the time my brain works best. Since it is now getting cold and we have no furnace, my fingers don't work very well either. But I have read about 150 books in the last year since I started posting. I didn't post about every book I read, and some of the posts were about other things, or more than one book at a time, so I figure it evens out.
I found a cool site that helps you organize your library and connect with other people who have the same books. http://www.librarything.com/ They have a 250 books in a year challenge. I figure if I count every book I read in a year, even the re-reads and ones I don't admit to reading on this blog (I do have some pride), I can make it.

Books. Larry McMurtry. Simon & Schuster. 2008

No comments: