Friday, January 16, 2009

The Accidental Sorcerer


This was a perfect book, sort of. If I were to write a how-to-write-light-fantasy book, I could use this one as a template. It was the proper comic dialogue, possible romantic interests, impossible situation for the protagonist and slowly developing menace that only the main character, with some help from his friends, can conquer. It even did all that without feeling cliche. How can you not like a book that has the main character say, "Somebody save me. I'm thinking like a civil servant. . ."
It was not, alas, a great book. I didn't weep like in Doomsday, think about the characters like they were real people as with any given Robert Jordan, or hunt down people to tell the jokes to like any given Terry Pratchett. I didn't even feel the wonderful sense of a completely right ending like Hero of Ages. But it was enjoyable, I'll read the next one.

The Accidental Sorcerer. K.E. Mills. Orbit. 2008

1 comment:

jendoop said...

love that quote about thinking like a civil servant.

You compare this to other great books; could the difference between a textbook sci-fi book (as you say this one is) and those wonderful success be knowing when to break the rules versus following every one?