Saturday, January 10, 2009

Poison Study




There are three books in this series and I was very happy to see that my library had all three. Sometimes we only get one or two of a trilogy for unexplained reasons. I had see this series around and thought I would try it.
At first I liked it. The writing is a bit lurid, purple prose is a fun phrase that describes it pretty well. The first person was annoying and I couldn't really pinpoint why, until I read a bit more into the next book and started the third. In a series, or even a stand-alone novel, you expect the protagonist to change, to grow and learn. Or at least I do. I don't particularly like the anti-hero who only gets worse as the plot thickens. The heroine in this book is scarred and damaged physically and emotionally, and though she seems to get past this by the end of the first book, she is still emotionally crippled and has grown stupid by the third book. Not trusting people and rushing into ambushes is OK in the beginning, but when you have been warned repeatedly and keep doing the same thing, there is no other cure than to burn the book and start over with a new hero.
The author developed the characters very well, to a certain extent. But then she would have those characters who she described so well, do something completely out of character. I could even see exactly why it was done. The heroine's boyfriend lives in a another country and she needed to get him to her, because we can't have the heroine acting responsibly and saving herself, now can we?
It was at this point I stopped reading Fire Study. They were OK books, until the third, and a good premise, good world but when you start playing games with your characters and making them be stupid because you can't think of another way to advance the plot, I'm done.

Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study. Maria V. Snyder. Mira, 2005-2008