Saturday, January 17, 2009

Repairman Jack




I've been reading theses books on and off since winter started. They've been a good wintertime read. Something I can finish in an hour or two and not demanding anything of me other than to just read them. They were slightly addicting, rather like CSI combined with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A mystery with strange happenings and a very interesting hero.
This author has a converging series as well, though my library doesn't have those. I think I would be interested to read them as a counterpoint to the ones I have read.
The second one, Conspiracies, is the one that made me keep going. It was an entertaining look at a conspiracy-theorist convention. It also proposes what if all the conspiracies are linked, UFOs, CIA, devil-worshippers, etc. I thought that was an interesting idea that he developed well.
My library has all 12, but I can't bring myself to read the last one. I'm a bit burned out and also they are starting to get self-indulgent. Many authors do this, especially toward the end of a very popular series, or as the got older. The two best examples of this is Heinlein and Asimov combining their most popular books years after they were written. Anne McCafferey is also guilty of this to the point I haven't read a Dragon novel in years, because the later ones got ridiculous.
In this case the plot was short and too drawn out for the book, and he put himself in the novel, by having the protagonist find books written about his adventures. While it is fun to speculate how a person would react if they found the book they were a part of, it didn't advance the plot, didn't give you new insights on his characters, and felt like an indulgence.

Repairman Jack novels. F. Paul Wilson. Tor. 1993-2008