Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Total Money Makeover


I read this book because my husband made me promise I would. It is nothing against the book, or the wonderful people who gave it to us. I just hate self-help books. I doesn't matter what help they are offering, I just despise the whole genre. And because this one is a money book, it runs smack into two of my unreasonable personality quirks, not just one.
First, I have an anti-authority streak a mile wide. You might ask how can a devout LDS person be anti-authority? I take my authority from the scriptures, the prophets, and the apostles. Everyone else has to prove to me their opinion is worth listening to. This is the main source of my dislike for self-help things. I have a thing against Oprah for the same reason. A line from Sheri Dew sticks with me, before you takes someone's advice, ask yourself whose kingdom are they building? God's or their own? I'm sure some very lovely people write self-help books, like I said earlier, its my quirk, not theirs.
The second problem is a reluctance to see anything short of inability to pay needed utilities as a financial problem. Maybe this stems from my childhood, or my desire to be lazy as often as I can get away with it. My husband's desire to have a budget causes me much stress and anxiety, with no real reason behind it. I feel great just paying the bills every month and he wants more than that. I agree, we should plan for our future and that is why I agreed to read the book and even do the planning to make our budget work. But it will be hard for me and I'm not looking forward to it.
The book itself was fine. I almost stopped reading half-way through because the rah-rah tone was really getting on my nerves. But after I talked it over with David, who pointed out that just because I have different motivations about money, doesn't mean all the advice is bad. The continual pointing out of how much money he has and that his books were NYT bestsellers bugged me. It all goes back to the kingdom thing again. But if he is trying to convince people to take him seriously I guess it works.
Then again, everything he said you can find in a much cheaper form in the financial planning pamphlet the church has. It all depends on what you need to get yourself off the couch, financially speaking at least, and get rid of your debt and start saving. I was happy gradually working at this, my hubby wants to go faster. He makes the money, I guess I will go along.

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness. Dave Ramsey. Thomas Nelson. 2007

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I have a hard time reading self help books as well. Every time I try to read one I just end up rolling my eyes. I did a lot of eye rolling with this book. In fact, I could not even read it all. I just skimmed through it and found the important bits where he actually says something helpful. I agree that most of what he says can be found in the pamphlet from the church with a lot less of his blah, blah, blah self help stuff.

jendoop said...

I like that quote from Sherry Dew. And you know I am on your side with this one. It's a good thing we both married men more financially savy than we are.