Monday, February 9, 2009

I Will Tell You in Your Mind and in Your Heart, by the Holy Ghost

This lesson was very long and had a lot of good quotes and scriptures. Because I had a cold and wasn't sure my voice was up to the lesson, I had everyone in class read a lot. To catch up on that read the lesson yourself, you might learn something.
This was definitely one of those more for the teacher days. I think most of them are. The nice old ladies all tell me my lessons are good, but I think they would do that if I stood up there and recited nonsense for 45 minutes. One of the quotes I liked, and that seemed to resonate in my brain was this one
Elder Boyd K. Packer counseled:“Sometimes you may struggle with a problem and not get an answer. What could be wrong? It may be that you are not doing anything wrong. It may be that you have not done the right things long enough. Remember, you cannot force spiritual things. Sometimes we are confused simply because we won’t take no for an answer. … Put difficult questions in the back of your minds and go about your lives. Ponder and pray quietly and persistently about them.The answer may not come as a lightning bolt. It may come as a little inspiration here and a little there, ‘line upon line, precept upon precept’ Some answers will come from reading the scriptures, some from hearing speakers. And, occasionally, when it is important, some will come by very direct and powerful inspiration. The promptings will be clear and unmistakable” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1979, 29–30; or Ensign, Nov. 1979, 21)
The Holy Ghost is our connection to the Father. He wants to communicate with us, any problems receiving revelation are due to us, not him. He will not leave us alone, and when the lines of communication seem to be down, we must do something to fix them. It felt a bit harsh saying that, but then a lot of the gospel can seem that way in our age of political correctness and trying to restore and bolster self-esteem, instead of built integrity and strength. If there is a problem, it is with us-period. The Lord does not change his promises, or stop answering prayers because he is too busy. If we can't figure out what is wrong on our own, then we need to go to the bishop and counsel with him why we are not feeling the prompting we long for.
It is the same thing with determining where the revelation is coming from. We know what our stewardships are. If revelation seems to come outside of the direct lines that have been laid down, it is not of God. If it contradicts what the prophet says, same thing. If it causes confusion, fear, darkness, anxiety it did not come from God.
This can be hard. I have had times in my life I denied the messages I was getting. My life became very dark and difficult. Because I would not receive what the Lord was giving me, I couldn't receive the Holy Ghost in other ways either. It is an experience I hope never to repeat.
The peace that comes from the Holy Ghost, as in John 14:27 is a priceless gift.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

This kind of peace is only to be found from Jesus Christ. The world wants us to be afraid; to turn to the guru of the week to learn how to cope with the latest crisis. Only through revelation from the Father, through the medium of the Holy Ghost can we have peace.

Addendum: Please understand that I am talking about and to myself mostly through this post. Don't feel I'm trying to solve your particular revelation problem, especially if you are depressed, then more help than just the bishop will be needed.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

Thank you, the quote by Elder Packer is now in my journal. It goes well with this scripture I read this morning, 1 Ne. 2:12 "..and they did murmur because they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them."

Elder Packer's quote contains a specific dealing of God, to find more and to decrease my murmuring and anxiety I need daily scripture pondering.