Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Making Money-part 2


I read this book a year and a half ago and was so-so about it. I reread it and discovered a book about banks and money is funnier now than in '07. Mostly because of the tragic aspect of comedy; when you could either laugh or cry, I choose to laugh.
I found some good quotes, and since I already reviewed the book, I'll just put these in.
I have no sense of humor whatsoever. None at all. It has been proven by phrenology. I have Nichtlachen-Keinwortz syndrome, which for some curious reason is considered a lamentable affliction. I, on the other hand, consider it a gift. I am happy to say that I regard the sight of a fat man slipping on a banana skin as nothing more than an unfortunate accident that highlights the need for care in the disposal of household waste.

Watching a dog try to chew a large piece of toffee is a pastime fit for gods. Mr. Fusspot's mixed ancestry had given him a dexterity of jaw that was truly awesome. He somersaulted happily around the floor, making faces like a rubber gargoyle in a washing machine.

They told him things for all sorts of reasons: to gain some credit; to gain some money; for a favor quid pro quo; out of malice, mischief, or, suspiciously, out of a professed regard for the public good. What it amounted to was no information but a huge, Argus-eyed ball of little wiggling factoids, out of which some information could, with care, be teased.

Hubert's an economist. That's like an alchemist, but less messy.

Making Money. Terry Pratchett. Harper. 2007.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

Those quotes are kinda twisted.