Saturday, March 7, 2009

What I've been doing lately instead of reading




I haven't read as much lately because I discovered a podcast I really liked and I've been listening to it s much as I can. The podcast is called Writing Excuses and it is meant as a guide to hopeful writers. I am not a hopeful writer as such, more of a hope that someday I might be a hopeful writer, since I can barely find time to write a blog. And, honestly, I would rather read than write.
I love to learn new things, and even though at first I figured I wouldn't be applying anything I heard, I was enjoying the podcasts. They are funny, and I feel like I've gotten to know some people that If they lived in my neighborhood, I would enjoy getting to know better.
But I am becoming a better reader by listening to the podcasts as well. For example, I was very tired Thursday because I drove the missionaries to Price and didn't get home until after midnight. So, being evil, I read a lot. It was the continuation of a series I had read a while ago. The plot was great, but I found myself noticing things I never had before. The voice of the book is the biggest one.
Voice is the way the story is told, first-person, third-person omniscient, second-person, etc. In the podcast they talked about how each voice affects the story and how having an inconsistent voice will mess up a story and confuse the reader. Now I notice when the voice changes without warning or how the author uses the omniscient narrator and how it works.
It is a lot like watching one of those making-of features on a DVD, only the information applies to all books. The three men who do it generally write the genres that I am interested in, so I have also gotten a lot of new book recommendations. I've caught up now, so I won't go around with an earbud in one ear while making dinner anymore. But I can get a new fix every week.
I've tried several other podcasts, but they don't appeal to me as much, which is probably a good thing.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

I guess I have something new to listen to when I walk. Thanks for the motivation/hints/aid/phone call. Who knows if either of us will ever publish but we'll keep our sanity and have fun along the way. I'm going to ruminate on the online writer's group idea...