Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Great Hunt or Nostalgia


Re-reading this particular book was interesting because a large part of the plot hinges on not knowing a certain person's identity. When you read it again of course you know who that person really is, so the book is completely different. As I read it this time I realized that I couldn't even remember how it felt to read this book the first time. It has been so long, and I have read it many times, so the first experience has been lost in my memory.
It made me think about other firsts that sometimes get lost. Do you remember the first time you saw your significant other? The first time you paid a bill or wrote a check? Most people remember huge things, like the first kiss, first child, first home but smaller things fall by the wayside, leaving the excitement and wonder laying forgotten as well.
I have been trying to appreciate the memory of firsts a bit more lately because it helps us to see how far we have come. When I remember doing dishes in my first little apartment I shared with my new husband, I can appreciate the fact that my house is still a mess, but I have five kids now, I have made progress.
Or when I remember the first time I saw our house, I can appreciate where we live, the improvements we have made, and how much I have enjoyed living here.
What type of first do you remember? What do they say about how you have grown and changed?

No comments: