Friday, June 19, 2009

Agent in Old Lace


Reading this book was a life changing experience for me. Not hugely, like having a kid or getting married, more like discovering a new good restaurant or discovering a new type of music you like. I admit, I have said some not very nice things about LDS genre fiction in the past; cliche is probably one of the more moderate words I have used. I was nervously looking forward to getting the review copy of this book because if it lived up (down) to my expectations, what would I write?
But it didn't. In fact, I will say this is one of the best thrillers (-ish) that I have read in a long time, because it so wasn't cliched. Having the girl not meekly go along with the threatening gunman made me give a shout of joy just in the first few pages. I've never understood why someone would go along with their own removal to a more easily disposed of location.
The heroine felt like a real person, not just a stick figure to get into trouble and then rescued. She jumps out of a car and actually hurts herself. How's that for a departure from regular fiction?
The writing was crisp and fresh. Though that sounds like more of a description of salad than prose, it truly was light and easy to read. Without getting bogged down in horrific descriptions of the evilness of the bad guy (we can figure it out) or of ballistics, or meandering, long passionate monologues about the tormented romance.
Tristi Pinkston has single-handledly convinced me to try more LDS fiction. I might actually start shopping Deseret Book instead of B&N. I'm sure your fellow authors will thank you, I certainly do.

Agent in Old Lace. Tristi Pinkston. Cedar Fort. 2009

5 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Wow - that's quite the mighty change of heart you've had there! :) I'm glad I had something to do with it.

Marsha Ward said...

Thanks for the nice review. Tristi is vastly capable of changing minds and hearts.

Josi said...

Great review, and well deserved. Tristi has worked long and hard on this story.

stephanie said...

I am so excited to read this book! And now I'm doubly excited. Steph

jendoop said...

Sounds great!