Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Game of Thrones


I feel that the timing was wrong for my reading of this novel. I've been meaning to read it for a long while and finally had to reserve it at the library to get it. It is a huge book. It took me a week to read it and while that might not sound like much, for me it was a very long time, especially since I have not been feeling well and spent a goodly amount of time laying down.
I think the problem is that this is an incredibly complex book. I've written before about Robert Jordan and the complexity of his books, this one beats that one because the story is not carried by a few main characters and a lot of minor ones with some cool prophecy. In this book there are two main families, with multiple children and relations, plus additional people out in the hinterland, and they are all important to the story. You have to keep relations straight, histories of whose father killed who's uncle and which grandson is still angry, etc.
I did read this once before, a long time ago, but I didn't remember much of it. It is a cool deja vu feeling when you read a book that is only vaguely in your memory. As far as epic fantasies go, this one is fair to middling. There are others much more compelling, even at the same length. I got tired of having to keep track of who was what, and the battle scenes were too drawn out for my taste. I don't need to know about every charge and swing of the sword.
I will probably keep reading them, but it might wait until the spring. This series does have the benefit of being available at my library. Someone else is currently checking these books out from the library though. And whoever it is is a very slow reader. They had the last book out for six weeks or so. If my pregnant brain gets any worse I will be forced to postpone reading the next one. Of course, since it is also huge it might be just the thing to read during those middle of the night feedings.

A Game of Thrones. G.R.R. Martin. Bantam. 1996

No comments: