Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Eye of My Heart


I haven't been sure about blogging lately because I wasn't sure I wanted to turn this into a pregnancy blog. But trying to ignore my current physical state would be impossible and silly, so if you don't want to hear about the miracle of procreation, you will have to go away for 7 months. But once the baby is born I have LOTS of time to read while I nurse, so come back mid-April.
My reading habits change when I don't have the concentration to follow a complex plot. This type of light memoirs are just my speed. This one was especially good because it dealt with children and mothers, but in a different way than usual.
The author points out that when she became a grandmother she looked for other books about that peculiar state and found nothing. Being an author and editor, she made her own compilation. The stories were sweet and slightly compelling. Most of them were too short to do more than give a gentle brush at your heart strings, not the tug that would be possible with such a subject.
The best part was the variety. There were grandmothers raising their grandchildren, ones close and far apart, ones revelling in grandmothering and some hesitant about the whole thing. As a stereotype-busting exercise it was wonderful. The only category of grandmother that was missed is the one I am most familiar with, the so many grandchildren you have to write things down to keep up. My grandmothers both had over 30 grandchildren. My mother has 15 grandchildren, my mother-in-law has nearly 30. What is it like to have so many children to love? Maybe there could be an LDS version of the grandmother book. Send e-mails to Sherrie Dew about it.

Eye of My Heart: 27 Writers Reveal the Hidden Pleasures and Perils of Being a Grandmother. Barbara Graham, Mary Pipher. Harper. 2009

1 comment:

jendoop said...

That would be great! Let's find a way to do it ourselves and make lots of moola!