Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Books for the Winter

Contrary to what you might think, reading the blog lately, I have been reading a bit. The odd, snowy weather has a bit to do with it, and being far enough along in the pregnancy to get a bit of brain function back also contributed.
I just wanted to mention a few, so as to keep track, don't you know.
We have been reading the first four books in the Percy Jackson series. Ryan got them for his birthday and they are very good. Light reading for an adult, and great for my myth-obsessed boys. It makes me think the movie just might have some potential. I just got the last one from the library, but I have to wait for R. to finish it before I can.







My dear hubby got books 2 & 3 in the Jack Campbell series The Lost Fleet, which he spent all of the 25th and 26th reading. He had been very frustrated that I have not read them so we cannot talk about them in a meaningful way. It is a new experience for him to read something I haven't. I think it is good for him. I probably won't read it until after the baby comes because it is a little dense for me right now.





I finally got a copy of Parallel Play from the library and was a bit disappointed by it. For a while this guy was on every NPR talk show and reruns and web sites and etc. The book was nice, and I enjoyed the first half, but the second half seemed more like bragging of the drugs, sex and scholastic difficulties that he managed to experience and still have a successful(?) life. I wasn't impressed.





I just finished Michael Chabon's Manhood for Amateurs, which suffered a bit from the same phenomenon as Parallel Play. Why do people think I want to know about their first sexual encounter? I personally regard that type of information as private and intimate, and not to be shared with millions of people in your memoir. TMI, anyone?
Other than that I thought it was a lovely book. Most of these types of books tend to rely on cleverness to be funny rather than actual good writing. Some of the chapters I didn't connect with, but others were amazingly gorgeous prose, talking about things that all parents can relate to.


I also read several silly vampire and supernatural fiction books, but they don't really count, since they are pretty much pure fluff.
I am collecting books that I mean to read in April after my brain comes back. It always feels like some sort of compensation that I have so much nursing time to read once my desire to read returns.
Happy New Year and all that.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

I go through spurts and dry spells with reading. It might have something to do with my classes. I think I'll graduate in 2050.

Thanks for the recommendations.