Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blithe Tomato


This was a surprisingly uplifting book. It was written by a farmer and framed as a series of short chapters based on people and events from the local farmer's market. I've read similar books and while I enjoy the farmer/gardening aspect they can be very judgemental. I dislike reading a book and feeling like the author wouldn't want to associate with me because our politics and lifestyles are too different. I didn't feel like that at all with this author, though we might be very different people. You get the feeling that the differences wouldn't matter to him.
I think this is the first memoir type book that I came away thinking that this was a very kind person and that impressed me. You don't find kindness in the public sphere very often.
I liked the stories and ideas, the life of a small-time farmer who is content with his life. It was just the perfect thing for a winter's day, to remind you of the value of being outdoors and creating and growing things. I'm not going to put any quotes in because everything I want requires too much back story or I will end up putting in several pages worth. Just take my word for it, it is a lovely read.

Blithe Tomato. Mike Madison. Heyday Books. 2006

1 comment:

jendoop said...

Sounds good, it will make me excited to plant seeds soon.