Thursday, February 18, 2010

Insurance help?


OK, I need to rant a little bit. Feel free to make any complaints on the same topic in the comments, because then I won't feel alone. I am covered by the state's (Utah) high risk pool coverage, because I can't get insurance any other way. We are self-employed and I have several past things that make me unappealing to the insurance companies. The state's coverage is only for individuals, the baby cannot be added, like you normally just add an infant to the parent's coverage when they are born.
So I've called around about adding the baby to our kids coverage, or getting another single one, or something like that, and they all say that I can't do that until the baby has had his first check-up at two weeks. Presumably because they don't want to add him if he any health problems. So the first two days in the hospital, all the tests, anything that might be needed to help him if he has problems, NONE OF IT WILL BE COVERED.
This on top of the $5000 deductible that I have, and the $5000 deductible my children have on their own policy, and the fact that David and Ryan can't get insurance either.
You know all those people who were complaining they might have to pay an extra few bucks on their nice insurance policies who helped railroad the health care bill. I want to throw things at them.
Though health care reform is painful, and expensive and all that, there is nothing they proposed or could do that would not in some way help my family. And the worst part of it is, we are well off, relatively speaking. We make way more than the median for our community, we make about $200 a month more than qualifying for the state children's insurance, so we are out of luck.
Just thinking about it makes me angry enough to send nasty letters to every Republican in the state, sitting there in their comfy chairs, never having to worry about how they are going to get the money to pay for their children's dentist visit or immunizations.
Some would say it is our own fault because we chose to have so many children. Yes, we did, and I am fully willing to pay for insurance for them. My main complaint is that IT IS NOT AVAILABLE. I cannot get insurance for my unborn child, I cannot get insurance for my child with Asperger's syndrome. I have done the equivalent of wander from place to place begging them to take my money, only to be turned away.
OK, I'm done now. I could type for a lot longer, but I would only be repeating myself. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them, I feel like I have run out of options. Thanks for reading this far.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

I don't really have an answer. I did think of you and this situation when I read this post - I think it has some applicability
http://segullah.org/slice-of-life/its-a-miracle/