Monday, December 6, 2010

Deadly Spin

First off, I hate this title. I have reviewed the book on Goodreads as well and every time I see it I cringe. It sounds like some true crime novel. Which I suppose, depending on your political sensibilities, it could be.
I applied for this book through the Goodreads Firstreads program. It amazing the stuff you can get that way. I have had problems with insurance for a while and am always ready to read things that support my already formed prejudices. The following is what I posted on Goodreads.

I think that the information in this book could be very valuable if you were interested in trying to understand what is really going on in today's political environment. It helps not only with the healthcare debate but with how spin is used in every issue where money is a factor-- meaning all of them.
I found the book a bit difficult to get through because of the sea-saw between utter outrage and boredom. What they are doing is outrageous but the details of the PR business were a bit difficult to follow at times.
I do wish that the chapter explaining why the insurance companies can't be sued were printed up for nationwide distribution. If everyone got a copy in their mailbox maybe it would generate enough outrage to get the law changed. With some accountability the heavy-handed tactics of the insurance companies would have to change.
A disturbing and eye-opening read.

It also reinforces what I try and remember and try to teach my children, don't belive the media unless you REALLY trust the source. There are so many forces trying to make us think, feel and spend in certain ways that it is difficult to know what is right. I worry most about unconscious bias. There are certain things I can see and actively fight against in my family and in my own mind, but how much PR are we subject to that we don't even realize? How much gets through our filters because it is subtle or comes from an unexpected direction?
One of my favorite scriptures comes from Ephesians 4:13-15 

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

 At least I know that one thing is always true and also always looking out for my best interests, Jesus Christ. Though there are some things I cannot prove or trust, I do have one anchor and that makes up for a lot of uncertainty.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

I like how you close this post. That is a wonderful scripture. We do have to fight against the tide constantly. A wonderful scripture too :)