Friday, December 24, 2010

Feelings of Christmas

Merry Christmas to all. This year I have been struggling with feeling the Christmas spirit. Being in a new home, money worries, new climate, general grumpiness, all have contributed. I have been fighting these feelings with large doses of Christmas carols. I say carols and not songs because a goodly percentage of the songs played on commercial radio stations are songs, not carols. I'm not 100% sure of the dividing line but any song that was written after I was born doesn't count, as well as one that complains about the holiday. Personally I would get rid of anything that tries to downplay the reason for the holiday but you have to include Rudolph and any song easily sung on someone's porch.

Whatever the definition, I have been trying to listen to as much as possible. Not only does it help me feel like Christmas is coming, but most of the time it helps my mood. So I am sharing some of my favorites with you, as I listen to the LDS.org streaming of Christmas carols by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, one group that knows their carols.

One that I wouldn't say is my favorite, but I love is Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant. Honestly, I avoid it. Having been pregnant for 5 Christmases it still makes me cry when I hear it in a quiet setting. It is a beautiful song, but having been reduced to near hysterical tears by a song is slightly embarrassing. I highly recommend it as long as you are not heavy with child.

The Little Drummer Boy is also one I enjoy. I've always liked the idea of wanting to give something, anything, to the baby Jesus. I also like the percussive styles you get with the various versions. It is one of my favorites.

New this year is Feliz Navidad. I never liked this song until I heard my 5 & 4 yr old girls singing it so happily in the car. Now I think of them and it also makes me happy.

Joy to the World is my favorite though. I've always liked it because it doesn't just talk about Baby Jesus. It proclaims the joy of Christ and all the reasons he came to the Earth. The joy of Christmas has very little to do with babies and everything to do with the adult Christ. I love this songs later verses as they proclaim:

No more will sin and sorrow grow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He’ll come and make the blessings flow
Far as the curse was found,
Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year.

No comments: