Saturday, March 12, 2011

Changes

In a fit of "Hey why not?' I changed the layout. You probably already noticed. If you like it or hate it, let me know.

Another change that I am still learning about and mentally trying to fit it into my brain is a more personal and life-changing one. I went to the doctor for my back, which had gotten so bad I could barely move.  As he was looking at where I hurt, and I tell him the whole story he starts playing the "Does this hurt?" game. To my surprise everywhere he put a little bit of pressure hurt; my arms, my back, my calves, my shoulders, everywhere. The red spots in the picture are where he pressed his finger, everyone of them hurt. I guess I knew that I was tender because I don't let my kids climb on me because of the pain, but I never thought much about it. He said that I had fibromyaglia and that was why I kept having such bad hip and back pain even though I was doing the right exercises and hadn't injured it.

To say that I was surprised would be an understatement. I came home and started researching and discovered that I have almost every symptom associated with this disease/syndrome/whatever. I am hypersensitive to cold, have various digestive problems, fatigue and such. This was also a surprise. None of these things were the type of problem you would mention to a doctor but they all  go along with the pain.

So I am coming to terms with the idea that my life is going to change. With dietary changes and the right kind of exercise and medication I can still do all the things I want to (hopefully). But the basic idea that I have a chronic disease is troubling. I have so much to learn. I guess that is ok, I like learning.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

I'm glad you have a sort-of diagnosis. It wasn't until after I resolved my pain issues that I realized how much it was effecting my life, and my family's life!

Knowing that there is legitimately something wrong with your body helps you take care of yourself without feeling guilty or labeling yourself as lazy. It also gives you the extra push to be a priority in your own life.

As part of your plan to cope don't forget some gentle exercise like walking. It can do wonders for attitude and your body.

Also, look into the effects of artificial sweeteners. When I saw that they make your pain receptors more sensitive, real sugar became part of my plan as well.

OK, lecture over. I hope you improve soon!