Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Perchance to Dream

    "The amount of sleep required by the average person is five minutes more."
      -Wilson Mizener
    "And if tonight my soul may find her peace in sleep, and sink in good oblivion, and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created."
      -D.H. Lawrence
Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast."
    -William Shakespeare, Macbeth
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
-Bible
 
Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.
-Victor Hugo

I especially like this last one. I have been working as much as I can and the night comes to politely tap me on  the shoulder and say, "You've done enough, you can stop now." But then I have sick children and laundry and all sorts of other duties and the peaceful night gets shorter and shorter, while my children wake happy and rested for a bright new day. I drag my weary carcass through the day with all the kindness and cheer of Grendel's mother, no wonder he turned out so badly.

Anyway, lack of sleep makes me maudlin.

No comments: