Thursday, August 30, 2012

THE TOILET SEAT MUSEUM!!!!!

I have been threatening to take my children to the toilet seat museum ever since I learned that such a place existed in San Antonio. I didn't even care what exactly it displayed, it just seemed like a great type of place for an outing.
The first thing I heard as we stepped inside was my oldest (13) say, "This place is awesome!" I knew right then I had a winner. It is a shed outside a modest house in the middle of a nice neighborhood. A kindly old gentleman (92) was waiting for us outside. He had come out a bit early to turn on the fans since it was near 100 that afternoon. I had my six kids and an extra and he was thrilled to show them all his work.
He has been carving and decorating toilet seats for decades. He was a plumber and it seemed like a good medium for his artistic interests. He started letting people look at them about ten years ago and has become a beloved institution since.
I let each of the kids pick out their favorites and here we have (slightly blurry) pictures.

You can't read it but it says a new friend from Ankeny, IA.

B. and the Barbie one.

E. and the turkey made of old spoons

Our friend and the piano parts one

M. and the "Hot Seat"

J. and the Legos one

The whole group

R., who had trouble choosing.

N. and the cars one.
We had a grand time. Though Mr. Smith who has collected all these won't be around forever I hope I have a chance to take others to it, it just makes you smile.

1 comment:

jendoop said...

Who would'a thunk there's a toilet seat just for little ol' Ankeny!