Tuesday, April 2, 2013

30-Day Challenge

It will come as no surprise to anyone who has seen a picture of me taken in the last 14 years that I have some weight issues. I also have some health issues that are complicated by this (not caused by though, just to be clear).

Through good genes I have managed to avoid any pre-diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol which enabled me to excuse away my bad habits. And I had 6 kids and 9 pregnancies in 11 years. That will do a number on your health anyway.

My youngest just turned 3. I have been feeling that changes that come when you aren't pregnant or nursing for a while. In some ways I am feeling better. But the fatigue and joint pain make it very difficult to follow through on all the goals I made when I was deep in babies and toddlers.

So I told my husband, but now I announce it to the world! I am going off sugar for the month of April. I need more accountability. My three-yr old is still too small to rat me out if I cheat during the day.

I know that a good part of the extra weight I carry is labelled "Dr. Pepper." I am pretty sure that much of the fatigue is from bad eating habits. While adding more vegetables is a good thing, I need to eliminate the bad as well.

When I post anything else here I will mention how it is going, again, because I need more accountability. My sweet husband is so forgiving, just telling him isn't enough.

Hopefully I will be healthier soon.

Oh, and I found a great video about doing these types of things, though his 30-day challenges are more fun than mine. TED talks are great, have a look.

2 comments:

jendoop said...

Good luck! This morning I found something good with no added sugar: a chocolate banana smoothie. 1 frozen banana, 1 T cocoa powder, milk, ice. Blend it up. The banana is sweet enough that the cocoa isn't tart.

Spring is a great time to eat healthy because there's so much great produce. I splurge on berries because they're good for me. If the family joins you it makes it easier, if it's not in the house, you won't eat it.

readerMom said...

Yes, we make smoothies all the time from left-over bountiful basket stuff stored in the freezer. Just ordered a case of strawberries and one of pineapple. I just hate the thought of something controlling me..366